Sunday, December 11, 2011

Getting sick after transplant...so different


Well come December 25th it will be 10 months since I got the chance of a new wonderful life only made possible by the gift of life from my lovely donor and their family.

Well this past week and a half I have came down with this cold. You never know where you pick it up, I stay away from sick people like the plague hahahaha. It all hit the same time my transplant coordinator called on my results of my 9 month assessment. Everything looked good by my blood pressure was up a bit still so they prescribed me some blood pressure meds. I picked them up at the drug store here in town, the pharmacist went through a few things with me then said that this med may cause me to have a tickle in the back of my throat and cause me to have a dry cough some or all the time....great I put up with 34 years of hacking my brains out! I don't wanna cough anymore lol. She also said it may cause fatigue too...wtf! Sounds like a great med. Especially a person like me that is on the go all the time and doesn't wanna cough anymore.

So anyways I called my coordinator and left a message the Easy Call system on what I should do about this cold. Tell you the truth I was kinda scared. It was the first time getting sick after transplant. I was afraid of it getting into my chest...which is the way it worked overtime before transplant. So my coordinator said to just take things easy and drink plenty of water. I also went and had blood work done just for piece of mind. They called the next day (Friday) and said that my cyclosporin level was high and cause of that my creatin level was up(kidneys) so I have to go back Monday and have blood work done again, if its still high then they will decrease my cyclosporin med level which means one less pill probably.

My brother and I attended a party my nephews put together for my brother and sister in laws 30th wedding anniversary (actual date is my dads birthday Dec 19) It was down in Kitchener. It was fun, got to meet some extra extended family...but for the life of me dont ask me names lol. We left there about 11 pm and drove back to Barrie to drop my brother off then came home. Today has been a write off. Got up to do my meds at 9 then fell asleep on the couch and didn't really get up and do anything till after 3pm. It was nice to be able to just relax and hopefully give my body a chance to kick this colds butt.
With talking with other transplant friends they say they have been sick and it just takes us longer to get over it then a person with and A1 immune system. I do happily still have some white blood cell count, I think it was 9 for my blood work for my 9 month assessment.


Below is a picture of my brother giving my sister in law a ring as his 30th wedding anniversary gift and one of me getting dressed up at my brothers.








2 comments:

  1. Hey Sean, I was prescribed that blood pressure med that can make you cough. Yes, it can! It wasn't too bad at first but then I just hacked and hacked and hacked and they changed the medicine to one that doesn't do that--thank heavens. Don't deal with it too long if it happens to you cuz it's a side effect you most definitely don't have to put up with. Glad your evals are going well now just stay away from all those germ infested people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't talk new lungs, but I can talk about heart meds. The tickle will go away. When I was first put on my meds I found sipping water helped keep the tickle down. Now I feel it once in a while, or if my dose is adjusted, but it will go away.

    ReplyDelete