Wednesday, February 2, 2011

First call a no go.


Monday was a long day. I was up early to travel down to Toronto General Hospital for my regular pre transplant Physio. It went good, had to redo my 6min walk test again as you know if you read the previous blog. But anyways there was really no change in distance from when I did it three months ago. I went 513meters in 6 min, that was good considering some inconsiderate people that wouldn't get out of the way in the hallway Dumbasses!So I got home around 4:30 and was a little tired. I got on to check fb and everything and learned that a couple of my fellow cfers were not doing so good. It kinda got me in a sad mood. I didn't have much for dinner just a Scandishake and a peanut butter sandwich. I then just laid around on the couch watching Tv. Thinking of my one friend that got some terrible news, something I don't know how I could handle if was told but she seems to be strong and continues to fight! It was about 9:20 when my pager started beeping away, I figured it just needed a new battery. I checked and it said one new but figured it was from last time I called it to check that it was still working. So I called the number and got a message to leave a number so I was convinced. Then my phone started beeping saying I had another call. I answer it and it was Toronto General Hospital. Hell this is Toronto General Hospital, we believe we have found some lungs for you. and then asked how I was feeling and such. She then asked how quick I could get there and said as long as I was there around 12:00am, she said have a bite to eat now and a shower if you like. So I called my roommate that I just got "the call" and ask where he was. I told him to meet me at my moms house in Victoria Harbour. So I informed my mom and a few friends that I was talking to online at the time. Filled my o2 tanks,got dressed and drove over to my moms. I got there which is about a 15 minute drive and my roommate wasn't there yet. He showed up about 10 minutes later, hell he was more of a wreck then I was, I was wondering if it would be safer for my to drive lmao. So we hit the highway. We had to stop and pick my brother up at the service center in cookstown. We arrived at TGH at 12:10am and went in thru emrg. I signed in there and was directed on where to go to have a chest xray done. For an emrg dept it was really quiet, I think there was only 2 other people sitting in there. I had my chest xray done and headed up to the 7th floor. They put us in a room that was full of recliner chairs. They took my vitals,drew 12 vials of blood and put a iv line in my right arm. They gave me a 5 page questionnaire to fill out. After that they had someone come in and do and ekg to monitor my heart. The on call doctor came in and talked with us. He said some of them had left to retrieve the donor lungs. And they will know around 3am what the condition of them are in and if its a go. The nurse came in around 2:30 and gave me my first large dose of cyclosporin which is an anti rejection drug. At 3am the came in to check my blood sugar which I figured would be high as I didn't take my night time humlin because I could not have a snack but it was only 5.8 whats with that? Then the nurse said try and get some sleep. Wtf how does a person suppose to sleep with all this going on. Its like saying congrats you won the lottery but first take a nap. 3 am came and went and no word. The nurse said the time of surgery is booked for 6 am but still no word on the lungs. 6 am came and went and the nurse came in and said they have rebooked for 8:15am but yet still no word on the lungs. The porter came to transfer me upstairs to the 10 floor holding area. When he showed up his cell went off. after he got off he said everything is on hold and just to stay here. I think it was 9 am when the transplant nurse came and took us up to the 10th floor. When I got up there and in a room, she started an iv drip of antibiotics and gave me a shot of heaporin in the arm (blood thinner) then we sat and waited some more. The transplant surgeon came in and told us that they were still waiting on the cond of the lungs, the way he was talking sounded like they had to fly out west to retrieve them. It was close to 10am when Dr Chaperio walked past and noticed me, she came in and was all happy I had gotten the call, she then left for a but then came back in to say they did not like the lungs so everything is off.

I wasn't overly disappointed cause I have read of others having dry runs. And lets face it I only want the best lungs for me...dont want any "as is" lungs I need fully certified lungs ready for the road of life!
So it was an experience and I fully know what to expect for the next time the call comes. As of today it is 5 months I have been listed.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, Sean. I love reading that. Not because it was a dry run, but for 2 other reasons. One, I never got to experience all that. I was on a vantilator, not knowing anything was going on. I find it all so amazing. Secondly, it's so cool to know that you are SO close. Fantastic. Can't wait to have you experience the good life. You are right, you want some good lungs for the rest of your life, it's worth the wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, I heard about your dry run and wanted to stop by and say GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Yes, you only want the best lungs so the doc's have your best interests in mind. Dry runs suck big time, not like I need to tell you...
    Here's hoping the next call is soon and it's the real deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the-Give-You-An-Organ-People know you're there and waiting--this you know now for sure! Sorry the run was dry and you have to wait a little longer but it will be worth it in the end to get top notch breathers. Thanks for sharing your crazy day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sean! I noticed you had visited my blog and thought I'd come and visit you. My husband loves jeeping as well, so your website caught my eye.

    I am so glad to see that you had the right attitude about your dry run, it does happen quite frequently and is for the best. You want lungs that will give you many more years. You are also right about next time, you will be better prepared.

    You will be in my prayers! You have SO MUCH to look forward to! All the best! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is crazy, I have read others blogs about receiving the infamous call only to have something go wrong and not work out..all I can say is wow. I am a 33 year old female and just completed by evaluation testing for a double lung transplant and everything looks to be a go - of course not with obstacles in the way but what else is new, right? Keep fighting the good fight and I will definitely follow your blog. Mine is Life and Stuff. Keep in touch and best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the post and great tips! I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts.Confuesed in how to use auto clicker then read my blog about how to use auto clicker to win the game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ¡Es como si leyeras mi mente! Parece saber mucho sobre esto, como si escribiera el libro o algo así. Creo que puede hacer con algunas fotos para llevar el mensaje a casa un poco, pero aparte de eso, este es un excelente blog. Una gran lectura.
    Definitivamente regresaré. pero tratas de seguir las cosas también,robux gratis

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really happy to say it’s an interesting post to read. I learn new information from your article, you are doing a great job. Keep it up
    PSN codes generator

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am satisfied with the arrangement of your post. You are really a talented person I have ever seen.
    I made a blog on some interesting topics please have a look at my post
    Gift Card Generator

    ReplyDelete