Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hemoptysis

Today was my first experience with hemoptysis. To most people it would scare the hell out of them to cough up phlegm that is all red. But with all my searching the net and reading others blogs that have experienced it I felt ok. I did have to ask other cfers on what the outcome of it would be and was assured that it is a normal occurrence with cfers and not to really worry if it is less then a cup full (which it was) but to juet mention it at the next clinic appt. They always do ask me at clinic if ive coughed any phlegm up that was blood so now I guess I can tell them yes.
To those not familiar here is a little write up on my Toronto CF Clinics website: http://torontoadultcf.com/cf-information/hemoptysis

It happened this morning after I got out of the shower. It was not very much maybe three big globs of phlegm....ya ya who knew you could easly talk about what you spit up lol. I think it may have been due to being so productive last night before I took my nebulizer. I am gonna hold off on my inhaled tobramycin till tomorrow night cause sometimes that can irritate it and just stick with my ventolin.
My mom had me call the Tele Health this morning. Now that was fun, first they said it was an hour wait so they could take my number and call me back so that is what I did. The nurse called me back so I explained I had CF and that my phlegm was bloody this morning, she asked if I felt weak or shortness of breath, I told her no I feel fine and that my o2 sats were sitting at 94 and that was good considering I was on oxygen therapy. Then I said it is almost back to green and her reaction was ohhhhh! its green? all worried, I said no that is fine its part of cf then she asked how long I had it. So then I ended up sitting on the phone educating "the nurse" on Cystic Fibrosis. So ya that was fun.
I think I will just stick to fellow cfers and ask them what they experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment