Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Keeping my fingers crossed


Monday was a rough day for me. My alarm went off at 6:30 in the morning and I didn't wanna crawl out of bed. I manged to pull myself together and get up. Went downstairs and started my normal morning routine. Every Monday morning I have to take this pill called Fosomax. Its a bone building pill. Just another part of CF and the pancreas not supplying the body with all the necessary vitamins and such. The only drag is you have to take it with plenty of water. Stay standing and sitting up at least 30 mins (cause it lays in your digestive track it can burn) and not eat for 30 mins....its such great stuff lol. So I take it then do my nebulizer and stuff by the time that's done then I can eat. I leave the house at 9, stop and the local Tim Horton's and grab a coffee for the road. Then stop at the gas station and fill the ol dodge up. Which is always painful with the price of gas these days. Then head my way to Toronto General Hospital. I usually leave around 10, it give me time to get there and relax and have another coffee before physio. But this week I left earlier cause I was scheduled for my quarterly antibody blood sample for transplant. They take a sample of your blood every 3 months. It helps with coming up with the anti rejection drug combo for after transplant. Anyways I find the lab I got to go to and get that done. Perfect still time for coffee...I'm a happy man lol. I wanted to do this before rather then after cause I wanted to get to the 401 before rush hour at 3:30. Driving down there so much I have learned all the times and traffic flows lol its sad.

I went to physio and plugged thru it. Usually when im on the treadmill and bike my o2 is set to 8lts and when done I check my o2 saturation and its usually 97% or so. But it didn't go past 93%

On the way home I had this stupid cough that wasn't really productive just really annoying and made my chest sore. Lets just say I was grumpy when I got home lol. I just wanted to sleep and had no ambition to even cook dinner. I just had a sandwich and a scandishake and some sweets for desert. Took my insulin like usual. Just laid around and watched tv. I always check my blood sugar 2 hours after and it was 8.8 which is good anything 10 or lower is fine 2 hours after.

I finished watching my Monday light line up of shows and was getting close to bedtime. So I checked my blood sugar before having my night snack and bedtime insulin and it was 18.8 I was think what the hell, I didn't eat anything all night how the hell? So I had to adjust with my regular insulin and also take my night time insulin. I was fully expecting it to be high again this morning but it was ok was down to 6.9

With the having blood in my phlegm, coughing and having a sore chest, spike in blood sugar and not having any get up and go all made me scared that a infection was setting in and would mean I would have to check in at club Bond at st mikes lol. This morning I went to physio and plugged thru that, I did alot of coughing and my o2 sats were still low on the treadmill but after the bile they were up. My chest isn't achy anymore. Makes me wonder if I just had some mucus plugged up and I finally moved it. My blood sugars have been fine so far. I will see how I do the next few days and hopefully I wont have to call clinic.....not that they call right back anyways lol.
As I was laying in bed Monday night I was thinking how cool it would be if all of a sudden my phone rang saying Mr Edwards, this is TGH we have some lungs for you. I still dont know what my reaction will be when the call does come.

So keeping my fingers crossed :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow eh. glad to hear ur chest is feeling alittle better tho.

    I have to see the transplant team, doctors and physio for a meeting on Thursday to talk about how I can get back on the transplant list ... thinking of u often :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya, waiting is the toughest part of all of this. I found that physio kept me busy enough during the week that it kept my mind off the waiting ... but it does become VERY frustrating!! Hang in!! Your time is coming!! I kept telling myself that they needed the PERFECT set of lungs ... after all, I wouldn't settle for anything less :)!

    For me, and what I've read from others, the call is the most exciting thing ever! I wasn't scared or frightened ... just really excited!! Hope you have the same experience :)!

    ReplyDelete