Friday, March 11, 2011

The day

Sorry fellow bloggers for being so behind,some of you that are also on my FB know Thursday Feb.24 at 9:30 pm I got the second call for lungs, only the tone in the voice they sounded alot more hopefully of these. Was told the OR is booked for 8am the next morning.
Well as you may have seen my playing around with a contest cup we have going on up here in Canada that I photoshoped the win lungs! That night too me and my roommate were hanging out on the couch, the average weekly night. Friend messaged me to watch Greys Anatomy as they were dealing with a double lung transplant patient due to CF.Not even 5 minutes into the show. "Mr Edwards? How are you tonight this is Toronto General Calling, we have located a set of lungs for you. How are you feeling? and can you be down here by12:30?" while hes talking I'm kicking my roommates foot. Get off the phone and say they got lungs. He rushes upstairs to get his son of of bed to drop him off at his grandparents. After that headed past my moms to pick her up then south to the city. stopped at the service station where my brother jumped in.
We were already familiar with the plan because of the dry run last time. Only this time they seemed alot more organized and speedy at getting things done. The final word came around 7 I think that the lungs were at TGH and would be heading down to pre op at 8. While we waited in the pre op we chatted and kid around trying to keep spirits up. Then the time came to wheel me away, I said my goodbyes and kisses. As I was leaving them I was in tears. The last time I cried was when my dad passed away. When I got into the ER it was a sure cramped spot. They got me on the table and then tried starting my artery line in my wrist then had to switch to the other to try, only they ended up using both wrists lol. I then handed them my disposable camera and asked if they would mind taking a few pics of the operation. They said they would see what they could do because they would be very busy, I said well I mean don't drop everything to take a pic that's ok lol. Here's me laying the OR table and still joking around.
So they held a mask against my mouth and told me to take some deep breaths to get my o2 up next they said your gonna start to feel a little drowse.
The next words I heard were Congrats Sean! you have new lungs! when I woke up Saturday morning. Hell I cant even sleep in after major surgery :P

I will Write some more another day, there is lots to cover!

2 comments:

  1. Yea Sean!! I'm so excited for you and hope things are going as well as you hoped they would. The 24th is a great day to get new lungs!

    ReplyDelete